Monday, April 29, 2013

Social Media Faux Pas

My first post on this blog was a very exciting day for me. I proofed it over and over, I had my husband proof it over and over. I even set up my next post by including a "mistake". How clever I was being! The next post was to be entitled, "The Devil is in the Details". Its content was to include the importance of proofing everything, followed with my third post on how to deal with mistakes, simply because they will happen and you can't be afraid of doing things on the off chance you will make a mistake. 

Life always has its own plan when we are making our own. My "new" plan for todays post is to comment on how to handle social media mistakes. Like my own.

Apologize Online, Social Media Faux Pas, Internet Mistake, Social Media Mistake
So, in that vein, I apologize to all my friends, family and colleagues for the faux pas I made with my first blog post. I thank those of you who called me [within seconds of hitting the send button - yeah you know who you are] and told me of the mistake I had made. Yes, that comment is a little tongue and cheek, although I was mortified and embarrassed. Grateful I have an opportunity and the venue to apologize quickly and easily, I apologize. 

What to Do: I am very sorry for the faux pas I made in communicating my new personal blog through my email contact list. I hope it did not cause distress to my many friends, family and colleagues. For the missing blog link, website URL not working to the non-bcc email, I apologize. 

What Not to Do: It is all Google's fault! In fact let's add to the list of reasons why the faux pas was made in the first place.. Windows 8, Google+, My new Toshiba Satallite® L875D lap top, the Husband, the neighbor who is replacing our adjoining fence and my cats. It was definitely not MY fault. 

Mistakes happen, it is how we handle these mistakes that differentiate us. If you put yourself out there, at some point you will make a mistake. Hell, we all make mistakes every day. Oops [hell] should I take that out? Most of these mistakes don't need a formal apology. But if you have the opportunity, even the smallest mistake should follow with an apology. It is the right thing to do. Taking responsibility for your mistakes is not a topic that should require a blog post, unless you are Emily Post. Apologizing for past transgressions is even in the 12 step programs! (Step 9 according to a Seinfield episode)
Again, I apologize and I at least promise those mistakes will never happen again. Not being a God [although I do think of my self as a Goddess] I cannot promise a different mistake or two will not happen in the future.

Getting back to the topic... Did you catch the mistake? It was in the image. My next post will be considered post #2 and we will get back on track. Let's make this post 1b.  Unless I get more calls tonight... :-) 

No comments: